Fiddlers Green - Cover

Fiddlers Green

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Forward

The American Civil war was probably the most significant event, outside of the war for Independence, In American History. The ramifications of that conflict are still agonized over by Americans of all philosophical ideologies.

100’s of thousands of this countries finest died. Millions of real wealth was wasted, destroyed, or spent. Vast swathes of land were destroyed and laid waste.

There was also the continuing damage done after the war. Military men, damaged physically and psychologically, were, for the most part, discarded after the war. There had been great strides made during the war in battlefield medicine, as there had also been great strides in the methods to tear and rend human flesh. The minie ball and rifled firearms increased their destructive abilities and ranges. Battlefield medicine of the time leaned heavily towards amputation. Because of this, Prosthetic devices and so-called ‘Plastic’ Surgery made great strides.

While these efforts were being made, Soldiers with psychological issues were largely ignored. And if the person involved was on the Confederate side, totally. After service, care was paid scant attention for either side. Union soldiers were sometimes, not always, given a certificate of service, mustering out pay. And then sent on their way. Confederate soldiers were given even less. Sometimes required to offer a loyalty oath, most were left to their own devices.

Prisoners of war were afforded even less attention. Usually just unlocking the gates. Followed by the guards just walking away.

The great tragedy was the civilian lives. Homes and farms, on both sides, destroyed. Women and girls abused by both sides. Orphans left without anything.

The invasion of northern scavengers called carpetbaggers soon followed. These human buzzards used all of the legal manipulations possible to steal whatever they could get their hands on. Their preferred titles were politicians, bankers, land agent, sheriff.

To this day, wounds remain.

Halfway down the trail to Hell in a shady meadow green,
are the Souls of all dead troopers camped near a good old-fashion canteen,
and this eternal resting place is known as Fiddlers’ Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell, the Infantry are seen,
accompanied by the Engineers, Artillery and Marine,
for none but the shades of Cavalrymen dismount at Fiddlers’ Green.

Though some go curving down the trail to seek a warmer scene,
no trooper ever gets to Hell ere he’s emptied his canteen
and so rides back to drink again with friends at Fiddlers’ Green.

And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen,
or in a roaring charge fierce melee you stop a bullet clean,
and the hostiles come to get your scalp,
just empty your canteen and put your pistol to your head
and go to Fiddlers’ Green.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close