Pasayten Pete - Cover

Pasayten Pete

Copyright© 2010 by Graybyrd

Chapter 7: Winter Lodge

Winters in the Methow Valley were cold, sometimes bitterly so. Temperatures ranged well below zero. The snow would pile up two and three feet deep. It fell to Graydon to keep the driveway into the Wolf Creek homestead shoveled out when the snow got deeper than his step-father's sedan or the panel truck, their faithful Blue Goose, could push through.

Graydon would wax a flat-bladed shovel and begin cutting blocks from the deep snow, lifting and heaving them aside. It took most of a day to remove the snow between the tire ruts. If the snow had fallen that deep, then he would also get out a ladder and cautiously shovel snow off the porch roof and the chicken house, lest the weight collapse them. The other roofs, the house and outbuildings, had been built with steeply-pitched roofs. They would clear themselves. Sections of snow would slide off before the weight could threaten the structure.

The ditches froze over. Every day Graydon chopped through the ice so their animals could drink. If sub-zero temperatures confined the goat herd to the barn, he would carry water inside to fill a watering trough made from a cut-down water heater shell.

He forked hay down from the loft into the mangers, and pitched the trampled bedding and manure through a shuttered side window onto the outside manure pile.

The barn, divided into stalls with feed mangers at their head and wooden-bar milking stanchions behind, was good protection during the coldest sub-zero nights. The sociable goats clustered together and their body heat warmed the enclosed space surprisingly well. Each morning when Graydon opened the door he was greeted by a chorus of bleats and jostling bodies. The nannies were eager for feed and milking. He'd bring a bucket of feed pellets to supplement their alfalfa hay diet. It was a challenge to get the bucket emptied into their feed trough before an eager goat's nose knocked the bucket from his hand.

Chickens thrived on hot feed, a mix of hot water and a three-pound coffee can half-filled with mill run, a cheap flaked grain mixture. The chicken run lay littered with bowl-shaped blocks of ice he'd knocked from the water bowls before refilling them with warm water.

Other winter chores included splitting firewood blocks to usable size. His job was to keep the wood boxes for both stoves full. Sometimes a block would hold a huge knot and Graydon would swing a sledgehammer to drive a splitting wedge down through the knot until it would snap apart, sometimes violently. He'd save the larger pine-knot chunks to bank the parlor stove fire at night. Despite that, the parlor fire would burn down to ashes and a few embers by morning. He'd get out of bed surrounded by clouds of his breath in the frosty upstairs air.

It was a long, cold run to the outhouse. Bed pans were carried and emptied at morning call.

Winter life at the Wolf Creek homestead seemed very closed in for Graydon. His world centered around the heated house and the sheltering barn. He swaddled himself in boots, sweater, a heavy coat, hat and gloves before coping with the frozen spaces outside. Work centered around feeding animals, splitting firewood, chopping ice, carrying water, and shoveling snow. Trips to town were infrequent and were a challenge. The Blue Goose was reluctant to start and it was hard to steer without swerving off the rutted, icy roads.

Then the winterscape changed for Graydon. He found a pair of war-surplus hickory skis, seven feet long with leather bindings that laced over his greased work boots. Matching ski poles stood shoulder-high with laced leather grips and big snow baskets. Painted white for camouflage, these outfits were used by WW II ski-troopers.

Graydon weighed a third what an equipped ski-trooper would weigh. When he strapped the skis on and glided off across the barnyard he literally floated across the snow. A new teacher at school was a ski enthusiast who encouraged the few students who showed any interest in the sport. Downhill skiing was becoming known in the rural Cascade region; Leavenworth was making a name for itself for its ski-jumping hill and people began to notice.

Graydon got a beginner's book explaining kick-turns, climbing steps, and long, sweeping telemark turns with long skis. He studied the Scandinavian cross-country ski history and techniques.

To make a standing kick-turn to face the opposite way, he had to balance on one ski, plant his poles behind to steady himself, then lift his inside ski tip up high to get its tail clear of the snow. He could then swing the ski around and plant it backwards. He'd shift his weight and lift the other one around in an arc to stride off in the new direction.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close