To Enter Another Reality - Cover

To Enter Another Reality

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 9: The Master Plan

Come forth onto us enemy and meet thyne demise at the hands of dark intent.

Finlock, ever the optimist, Ornak and Spornak, the evil twins, are now stationed at the edge of the Rye Mountains just inside where the purple mist begins. They are guarding against any possible incursion that can threaten the fortress. There are two main roads in, and with many trails and passages that can be taken, the three Masters have to split up and guard a sector of the mountain rather than any specific passageway, to be effective.

Ornak with fifty Clan Soldiers takes the main road leading directly to the evil fortress. Even though it is the most direct route, it is still not an easy path to traverse. The path leading out of the Blackheart Forest is right around two thousand foot of elevation, while the fortress rests at over eight thousand feet of elevation. The Rye Mountains are old, and any vegetation that once existed here died off decades ago, when the Masters decided to put their main base here and then brought forth the purplish mist.

Spornak, also with fifty Clan Soldiers, takes up position at the other main trail leading deep into the Rye Mountains. This trail is slightly smaller than the main trail and it twists and turns a lot more, but it is still usable for wagons to pass through.

The beginning of the Rye Mountains is very steep and rugged. The first third of a league of the journey is treacherous, because it goes from the elevation of two thousand feet to almost five thousand feet before it starts leveling off and heading in towards the fortress. The only way the wagons full of their weekly supplies are able to use the trail is because it meanders upwards, snaking back and forth at a very intense angle, but because the road snakes back and forth it turns the third of a league as the crow flies into two leagues of trail. Therefore it makes the road itself not as steep.

At the top part of the trail, where it finally starts to level out and turn in, is heavy brown rocky soil that has jagged rocks sticking out of the ground that look like dragons teeth. This is where Spornak has set up his ambush.

While Finlock, who goes further east to guard the many possible passageways and trails into the Rye Mountains, sets up his defensive forces there. Since most of the trails are close together, he and his fifty Clan Soldiers should be able to notice any movement in that region. Finlock chooses to make his presence easily noticed, so that any intruders will think twice about invading the Rye Mountains and attacking their fortress from that direction.

Back at the fortress, Grand Master Zomaas and the other remaining four Masters are holding one of their meetings to keep up on the new information coming in from their spies. Knowledge is true power.

Netho brings up a point that nobody really wants to entertain yet. "What if the stranger, who is undoubtedly a wizard from the kingdom of Parrethia, is just an advanced scout for an invasion force from that kingdom? Should we not guard against an attack from the sea on the western part of the Rye Mountains?"

By Zomaas' reaction to that, you can tell he has also thought the very same thing. Which is why he says, "Yes, Master Netho, I most assuredly concur that we would be acquiescing to our defeat if we do not guard against that possibility. I have the highest of hopes to crush the stranger and the pitiful uprising that has followed him before that becomes a reality, before the knowledge of the young Mystic Wizard spreads, so that any thoughts of invading our kingdom will be circumvented.

"But they seem to have an uncanny knack of getting out of the most assured captures. It is most annoying to be sure. Whether they are being guided, or whatever their luck is, it is about to run out.

"Nakoosa, the vengeful, and his force of over a thousand Clan Soldiers and Marauders have a most excellent plan to crush any rebellion by the people. Even if the young Mystic Wizard and his traveling band of misfits gets past the Maloose River and Nakoosa, they will only be headed to certain defeat, because Zarton, our irascible god of all that is evil, has set a ghastly surprise for them, and if they do make it into the Rye Mountains it will be to the realm of perdition.

"Akmora, send two of your dragons with their discerning eyes to patrol the Great Sea and safeguard our western shores. If they behold any ships coming our way, have them bring word to us first, and then have them return to attack and destroy them."

Akmora, always in his black robes, stands and bows, "Yes, Grand Master, you may consider your command skillfully executed and you may be at ease, for they will not fail." and he turns around and walks out of the hall. Master Zoran, the ever doubtful, speaks his mind and adds, "It is absurd and weird how only he can talk to and understand the Fire Dragons. I sometimes wonder if it is all but an illusion."

Master Dobrin, the wise, answers that by saying, "It is no illusion, Zoran, I have seen it with my own eyes. I have ridden on the back of those magnificent creatures while Akmora led the way on Nogard, the king of the Fire Dragons. They are as one. I tell you now, my fellow Master, it is most assuredly weird, but it is majestically true."

"Akmora has been a true and loyal servant to Zarton. I will stand for no disparaging talk against him."

Zoran answers, "No, Grand Master, I was not questioning his loyalty or his greatness. I was just thinking out loud."

"Listen, my fellow Masters, we the consanguinity, now is the time to stand together and stand strong. So, Dobrin, Netho, and Zoran go prepare a surprise or two of your own just in case the rebellious young Mystic Wizard and his companions make it into the Rye Mountains. Now go, Masters!"

They all bow, "Yes, Grand Master." Then they turn and walk out of the hall.

That leaves Zomaas sitting alone in the hall staring out a big window in the dome of the ceiling, feeling confident about their chances of putting down this mutiny against Zarton, the god of all that is evil, their God, his God.


Nakoosa, Intar, Teador and their personal entourage of two hundred Clan Soldiers terrorize the countryside as they make their way to the Maloose River and what they hope will be the defeat of the uprising, and the end of the line for the last of the Mystic blood in Owen.

As they travel through each and every village, they choose one child from that village and sacrifice it in front of all to see. Those who turn away because they cannot watch such a thing are beaten and sometimes killed themselves.

Nakoosa, the vengeful, is a sorcerer of few words, "If you ever dare to take arms or umbrage against Zarton, the renowned, or us, all of your children will be killed." Then they ride off deeper into the Blackheart Forest like it is all in a days work. Which sanctioned by horror and the abyss itself, it is.

It is going to take them about two weeks to reach the forest river city of Lancer from the Rye Mountains at the pace they are going, so Nakoosa calls up the Captain of the Army. "Captain, front and center!"

"Yes, Master."

"Send forth a scout trio to the far northern corners of our kingdom. Tell them to procure all Clan Soldiers and have them assemble at the forest river city of Lancer with all the haste they can muster."

"Yes, Sir!" He salutes Master Nakoosa sharply. "Sergeant of Arms." "Sir!"

"Hand pick two men and ride to the cities of Turlac, Murtz and Thort and gather all Clan Soldiers and tell them to gather at Lancer immediately. By the order of the Masters."

"Yes, Sir!" Then the Sergeant of Arms calls out two names and then they ride off as hard and fast as they can, leaving a cloud of dust in their wake, with the orders not to stop until their mission is completed.

Then Nakoosa turns to the Captain of the Army and says, "Do you not personally know some of the bands of Marauders?"

"I do, Master."

"Then ride with gilded intent to the far side of the Maloose River and organize patrols between them and your soldiers already in Lancer. Also blockade the Cross Over Bridge and implement a cessation of travel. Let no one pass through without a thorough check and a solid reason of why they must cross. Kill any who argue." "Yes, Master." He bows his helmeted head and calls out another name. Then he rides off to carry out his orders.

The patrol, now nick named the Death Patrol by the people, is entering the forest city of Minsk. They ride in and dismount their horses and walk up to the governing ones of the city.

Nakoosa tells them, "Call together a town meeting immediately."

It is but a blink and a skip that the people start to gather in the large field which they call the Games Grounds. Teador goes off and finds the child they will make the example out of. Teador brings the child up and gives him to Nakoosa, and then steps back and stares at the crowd.

Nakoosa, in an angry and intimidating voice, yells out, "You will remain obedient or this will happen to all the children of Owen."

He now has the child by the hair and he has his sword drawn. He draws the sword across the child's throat and decapitates the head from the body and then throws the head into the crowd. The women and children, and even some of the men, cry out, and those who do are beaten and sent away with a severe warning. The town meeting is now over. The Death Patrol is ready to get underway once more. The horror they leave behind is nothing like the horror that goes with them.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close