To Enter Another Reality - Cover

To Enter Another Reality

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 2: The Journey Begins

As chaos rages all around them, they hastily prepare for their departure. On the wings of hope do they grasp for tomorrow. Maddox disappears around a corner in search of some horses to ride, and to gather what supplies he can for their long journey across the island kingdom. Hidden in the shadows of an abandoned building, Tula tends to her son Tork as Kyle stands guard waiting for Maddox to return with the necessities of travel.

With only the light of the flames from the burning inn to show them what is happening around them, Kyle sees several patrols of Clan Soldiers returning with recaptured prisoners that he released only moments ago. No doubt they are being returned to their deaths or much worse. A fate so dark and un-deserving that the Heavenly Gods themselves weep for them. As of yet Kyle hasn't seen any children being returned, and he hopes with all the grace of those Heavenly Gods that they either find their way back to their families, or kind strangers are hiding them from that fate, which is worse than a thousand deaths.

Finally Maddox returns with four horses saddled and ready to go. The horses are the standard brown horses with the unadorned black saddles that Clan Soldiers use. If Kyle had to guess, he would say that Maddox has taken them from a patrol of Clan Soldiers. And if Kyle had to venture another guess, he would also say that those Clan Soldiers are no longer in need of them. With only the bare minimal food and water supplies they head out across the Desert of Origin.

"First destination, plains city of Murtz." To Kyle it appears that Maddox is gearing up for war, and if Maddox is anything like Kyle he will give himself over to it fully.

With a few mystical waves of the hand the shadows become even darker when the need is dire. So it goes that they make it out of the city. As they ride off into the night, Kyle looks back over his shoulder and there he sees the fierce anger of the Masters as the search for the stranger continues. He feels an emptiness growing inside because he knows good people are going to suffer for his intrusion into this oppressed land.

'When doeseth weaketh knees stop you from standing will a friend stand for you. Fear not good people you are not alone.' It is an ancient saying from the Book of Glory.

As his sorrow mounts his anger equally grows in strength, making his determination and belief in what he is here to do all that much stronger. Even though he himself is not quite sure of what he is here to do, or even what can be done, for that matter. Uncertainty is like a dagger piercing your soul.

They ride for the rest of that night without seeing any signs of pursuit. The effort put forth is only equaled by the hope that drives them. As the sun is starting to rise they can see the beginning of the plains on the horizon. It is a subtle change. The desert is a tan color that glitters gold sometimes, and the grass of the plains are more of a light brown color that sway with its own gold. Both are gifts often squandered by the unseeing.

They have to take it slow and easy, and move with a tender grace because Tork is still very weak and the scorching desert sun is becoming unbearable, sapping every last ounce of energy out of the horses. Many times they have to dismount into the hot sand and lead their rides by hand, saving whatever energy is possible. Soldiers of Light will always sacrifice their comfort for others.

Kyle looks over at Maddox and thinks that the warrior must be burning up inside his black leather and mail gear.

Maddox looks upon the stranger that he has only known a few nights and wonders what in the abyss he is doing following him to who knows where and to what end. He knows the man is of warrior heart, but it unnerves him that he is a magic user. Even though his people also have wizards and witches, they are few in number and he never felt right around them.

Just then the shadowed face turns towards him. "My friend, how much further is it to the plains city of Murtz?"

Maddox ponders this for a moment. "Another two day ride I figure. Though we have made the trip several times it has been a while since I come this way. If luck be on our side we can rest and re-supply there."

"Okay," Kyle replies, nodding his head slowly and formulating a plan. "We have a great many things that must be done. We must remember to stay on constant alert and be vigilant against our own short-comings, because when they discover the true meaning of all the prisoners escaping they are going to search the whole kingdom far and wide for the person who did it, and the prize that got away."

Tula adds, "When they discover Tork missing they are going to be enraged because they know his father's powers will have been passed down through the bloodline." The power of light is not so easily denied.

"Yes, I also believe they knew the potential of Tork here. If he is as strong as his father and grandfathers were, as you say, they must consider him a threat. That is probably why they had him locked up so he could not get the training necessary to become a skilled wizard."

Maddox asks Kyle in a somber voice, "Are you going to train boy in the arts of magic?"

"I do not know if our lines of magic are compatible, but when I look at that weak and wretched blonde-hair and blue-eyed boy there, I see an aura of strength and purity surrounding him. Somehow I sense that he is this kingdom's best hope. So I must at least try and show him what he is capable of. To waste potential is a sadness that affects us all deeply."

As if to ponder that supreme thought, they all linger into silence and ride on.

They stop during the increasingly hot day several more times to rest their horses. As night is nearing, they are progressing steadily towards the beginning of the gently rolling plains.

Tula explains, "These are the Coaster Plains, and I was born here in a little village west of Murtz. When I was a little girl I would run for leagues through the patches of flowers that accentuate the lush green grasses in the springtime. No matter how dark the world becomes, they cannot take away such beautiful memories."

They are presently riding through increasingly harder soil, as the transition from desert to plains starts to take hold. In the black of night, as the stars shine brilliantly above, they reach the edge of the plains, but necessity drives them, so they decide to continue to ride on for another hour.

Finally exhausted and in need of sustenance they stop. You can only do what you can only do. To expect more is to invite disappointment into your life. With the decision made, they set up camp behind two of the highest rolling mounds they can find. Against all sensibility they make a fire to warm Tork, because as the day is extreme in its heat the night is extreme in its cold throughout the desert and plains as autumn finds its way. They set up a little canopy above the fire so the light given off will be minimal.

As they are sitting around the campfire, Kyle breaks the stillness and silence of the night by saying, "When I was growing up in my land of Parrethia, I used to hear wonderful and exciting stories about your kingdom of Owen. Until that one day when one of the Mystic Wizards turned his power to the evil ways of black sorcery. Then the stories stop from that point on. It is perhaps that mystery more than anything else that first destined my eyes to look upon this kingdom."

In a reverent and hushed tone Tula reminisces, "I too remember many wonderful stories passed down by my kin, but they are only stories now. They are of another world long since bereft of its greatness for Tork, me and our countrymen."

After a moment of silence, where only the crackling of the fire can be heard, she looks at Kyle with hidden secrets concealed behind eyes filled with memory and pain. "It was not the Mystic Wizard who did this to our kingdom, at least not in his heart. He just thought he could become more powerful if he chose a secret and hidden path, not knowing what was at the end of that path. I am not even sure if he knew what he was doing was the long forgotten evil powers of Zarton, the god of all that is evil. With a spell he did not understand, he released Zarton from the prison the Heavenly Gods imprisoned him in thousands and thousands of years ago, during the God Wars of the Dreamer Age of this world.

"The power was too strong and tainted and consumed him, and still today that Mystic Wizard who released the evil upon our land so long ago is the Grand Master of the Masters. At first the ten remaining Mystic Wizards and their protégés fought valiantly against him and the evil powers of Zarton. They seemed to be winning, but the battles alone of the good and evil wizards almost destroyed our land.

"Soon more and more dark wizards started showing up, but by then they did not call themselves wizards anymore. They called themselves sorcerers. In the end, when all hope was lost, the war turned in favor of the sorcerers, and the Mystic Wizards were either destroyed or went into hiding. Whichever it was, it left the people of Owen at the mercy of the evil powers of Zarton and his earth bound disciples, the Masters."

They talk a little while longer, and then since the need is great at last, they bed down for a few hours before they dare to start out again. The imposing figure of Maddox takes the first watch.


It is an hour, maybe a little more, before sunrise, and they have already been on the trail for several hours making their way towards the city of Murtz. Tork seems to be gaining a little of his strength back now. He is becoming more talkative, and inquiring about their destination and plans, realizing perhaps for the first time that he is really free from the tyranny of the Masters and the Black Dungeon. It is a beautiful thing to see a soul becoming free, though it takes courage to walk that destined path.

As the sun is just turning the western horizon orange, Tula starts to explain what is happening and who they are riding with. Tork has never met Maddox or Kyle before. Between the brightening sky and themselves they notice a small dust storm heading their way. Maddox and Kyle notice it at the same time.

Maddox turns, "It a patrol of Clan Soldiers."

Everybody goes quiet. Tula gasps and Tork starts to fidget in his saddle until Kyle says, "Act like we belong here, and do not look scared or nervous."

"We must run!"

"No, Tula, they will only catch us. Just act like we belong. Maddox, move in close to them in case we have to fight them."

In the background Tula hands Tork a dagger. "Your father wanted you to have this." Tork looks at it as if it is alive.

"Tork, put it out of sight, but have it ready." orders Kyle.

The soldiers ride up on them with suspicion in their dark eyes. The lead soldier holds up his hand and the patrol comes to a halt, with one of the soldiers riding around to outflank Maddox and Kyle.

"Whoa! Where do you hail from and where are you going? Speak at once!" The dialect is thick and over-confident.

Tula tries to ride forward a little, but one of the soldiers cuts her off. Unperturbed she speaks up, "We came from Turlac and we are heading to Murtz for a little trading business to get supplies for my tavern."

The leader of the soldiers looks on with continued suspicion. "Who are the rest of you, and you there, pull that hood back so I can see your face." as he says this all the other soldiers draw their weapons.

Not knowing how to reply, Maddox hoists his mighty battleaxe and buries it in the chest of the leader, only breaking it free again by getting his horse into a trot heading for the next soldier.

From out of the shadows of his cloak Kyle draws his sword. There is no more need for words. The battle commences. In one swipe Maddox takes another Clan Soldier's head clean off his shoulders. Kyle goes head to head with two other soldiers who have startled looks on their faces, but are no less ready to kill. When bullies meet ability the gods smile.

Swords meet in full swing, and thanks to the magic imbued into Kyle's sword the guard's sword breaks in half and falls harmlessly to the ground. The guard has just enough time to understand what has happened when a huge rip opens up across his chest and he slumps to his death.

Turning quickly Kyle parries the other soldier's thrust, and then drives his own sword home, letting the life of the Clan Soldier leak out onto the plain. Just then another soldier rides by, taking a full swing at Kyle. Kyle ducks the savage swing that barely misses his horse's neck, and goes forward to strike the guard down.

Maddox just finishes pulling his last opponent of his horse by his helmet, twists it hard and throws him down with no sign of respect for the dead.

Kyle is turning to combat the last soldier. He miscalculates the soldier's advance. As the soldier is ready to plunge his sword into the back of Kyle, Tork rides forward and drives his dagger into the side of the last unsuspecting soldier. As the seventh and final Clan Soldier falls to his death, Kyle and Maddox look at Tork in surprise, but not as surprised as the dying man.

Tork, with a smile on his still dirty face, holds up the dagger, "It was my father's, now it is mine." His voice still has the squeakiness of a child's, but under these circumstances he will grow up quickly.

Maddox and Kyle chuckle with a dark understanding, and prepare to get back underway. Tula is not altogether happy to see some of Tork's father Morka in him. As the moment sinks in, Tork begins to understand the depth of his actions.

Kyle was waiting for it and says, "It is true that taking a life will change you like no other action can, but you must always remind yourself that you do what you do because it must be done, and you do it out of love, not hatred." Tork wide-eyed nods his head and swallows the bitter taste of reality.

After they take what supplies the soldiers have, they resume their journey. The plains roll on for as far as the eye can see to the West and East. Just now, in the South, the Pheminol Mountains start to assert themselves on the horizon. Just to break up the monotony of endless golden grass every once in a while, patches of white and yellow flowers will show their worth.

One other time they think they see a patrol of Clan Soldiers appearing and disappearing in the rolls of the land, but nothing becomes of it.

They are still about a day's ride from Murtz when they bed down for part of the night. This time taking care not to build a fire. They know once the bodies of the soldiers are found more soldiers will come, and eventually the Masters will pick up their trail, and it will not be that hard to draw a line and extrapolate where they are heading

As they settle in for an uncertain couple of hours, Tula begins telling Tork about his father and grandfather and on down the line.

"Your father's forefathers were Mystic Wizards of the good faith, and so could have your father been, but he chose to become a Master instead. He was wild and foolish and sought out the only game in town. At least, until he found out what he had to do to become one. I heard he fought a valiant fight, but he was not strong enough by himself and the Masters killed him."

She continues on, "Kyle Whiteknight, your rescuer, is a warrior from the land of Parrethia, and he too is a wizard of the good faith come here to fight the evil sorcerers. He will train you to become a wizard like your forefathers," then she looks him straight in the eyes with a serious glare and says, "Son, we must all help to bring back the once beautiful kingdom of Owen."

With no visible emotions in his eyes, Tork replies, "Yes, mother, I feel like it is my destiny."


"Another day riding and we should reach Murtz by nightfall." says Tula.

"Good, we will go in under the cloak of darkness," responds Kyle.

In the distance they hear the thundering hoof beat of a patrol of Clan Soldiers somewhere over the next gently rolling rise. The closer they get to town the more Clan Soldier patrols they begin to see.

As Kyle becomes his teacher and Maddox becomes his best friend, Tork begins to gather his strength and wits. For a sixteen-year-old boy riding with his mother, teacher, and best and only friend, you would think he would be sad and lonely. But Tork is happy to be free, however temporarily, and he now looks upon life with a purpose burning in his eyes. It often takes tragedy to make one appreciate the gifts of creation.

Kyle takes advantage of the long and mostly uneventful ride to explain what it is to be a wizard of light. "First, you must be self-sacrificing. You are there for the innocent and weak. Your problems and family life come second to the needs of the people.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close